Friday, May 25, 2018

Peanut Butter JELLY DONUT Time!




VERY IMPORTANT: Before you read this post, make sure to watch this video ^^^^

OK, now that we’re done with that very important piece of business, we can start with the post. Whew.


So first off, this one’s been a long time coming (that’s what she said). I actually checked and I started writing this post in 2015. It’s 2018 now. I know… “Get it together, David… Get a job David…”

A little while ago (3 years actually), I bartended a company’s happy hour. Not uncommon, they grabbed a ton of random booze they had around and put it in the bar for me. 

This mixed with a pretty adventurous and non-discerning drinking crowd and I got to do one of my favorite things. Throw tons of crap together from a bunch of weird ingredients to make awesome sh*t. 

AKA MASSIVE opportunities for creativity. 

Before we get to the recipe, one quick story from this party that was no joke the most awesome moment of my entire bartending career. 

And this is saying a LOT because I have many. 

At this event, they had mini cupcakes. You know, the ones you can get at the grocery store. Well, it seemed like people were done eating them so I decided to make a shot with them. 

First, I asked if they were down to try something kind of crazy and different. They were like, “Hell yeah!” I mean, I don’t just make weird shots and give them to people without checking first. Usually at least. Here's an article on how to avoid this from happening

Plus they were kind of crunk at this point, so I was confident the idea would go over well. 

I grabbed a few of the vanilla mini cupcakes, some flavored vodka and juice, and threw it all in my shaker. I shook the crap out of it and served it to about a dozen people as a shot. I’d tell you the exact ingredients but I don’t remember. 3 years ago, bro…

The result?

A uniform look of both confusion and disgust on every single person’s face. Then half of them were like, “What was that?!” in a what-did-you-just-do-to-me-kind-of-way. 

It was amazing. 

Then I explained to them what it was, they thought it was pretty cool and then asked for more. 

OK, now to today’s recipe. 

The Jelly Doughnut


Like I said, I had a ton of stuff to work with at this party. When this happens, I usually take a few things and make them into cocktails or shots. Like a recipe on the spot. And it usually turns out pretty well. But this one recipe was special (believe it or not, even better than the cupcake shot)….

I tried it and it tasted just like a jelly doughnut. Magical. 

Step 1: Fill your cup with ice (all the way to the top homie, every time).
Step 2: Add 1oz of whipped vodka and 1oz of raspberry vodka. If you have a big cup or just like it strong, do 1.5oz of each.
Step 3: Fill the rest of the cup with equal parts ginger ale and pineapple juice. You can play around with this proportions to taste. 
Step 4: Stir because pineapple juice is thick and won’t mix well on its own. Don't shake or roll it because it will mess up the carbonation from the ginger ale. 
Step 5: [Optional]: Float 1/2oz raspberry vodka on top after stirring. Unlike an actual doughnut, this is so you get some fruit flavor in your first bite/sip. 

BOOM! There you have it. As a side note, you can probably use any fruit flavored vodka instead of raspberry. I’ve never tried it but I have had the mango doughnut from Voodoo Doughnuts and it’s amazing. Plus Pinnacle makes a mango vodka. 

God bless America and all of its doughnuts. 


Cheers!

David












No comments:

Post a Comment