Sunday, November 22, 2009

Recipe for an Old Fashioned

In my last post, I talked about how all these old school drinks are getting trendy again. One of the classic cocktails I wrote about is a drink called the “Old Fashioned.”

In this post, I am going to go over how to make an Old Fashioned and review it in the end. When I say review, I’m really just going to talk about how delicious I think it is.

 Lets dive in.

Step One:
Gather a rocks glass, shaker tin, stir straw, muddler (the thing you use to mush ingredients up), a bar cherry, a slice of orange without the peel (cut the size that you would garnish a Blue Moon with), 1 or 2 packets of sugar, soda water, ice and bitters.

Step Two:
Put the cherry, orange slice, 1/4 to 1/2 ounces of soda water and 1/2 to 2 packets of sugar (depending if you like it sweet or not) in the rocks glass. You are going to “build” this drink- this means mix all the ingredients in the glass.

Step Three:
Cut a hole in the box!
Just kidding, but I love that song.

Real Step Three:
Muddle the crap out of it. In other words- mash it until you can’t really tell there used to be fruit in there and all you see now are fruit-colored chunks.

Step Four:
Add 1-3 dashes of bitters into your mix. I like 1 dash. Then add ice. You can add just a few cubes, or you can fill the glass to the top. If you like your drink more watery towards the end, then put in lots, but if you like it a little warmer and more concentrated, then only a little.

Step Five:
Add an ounce and a half of bourbon. I like Marker's Mark for this drink, but use whatever bourbon you want- just don’t use shitty rail bourbon. Again, I’ll talk about why use good booze later on. Just keep trusting me for the time being ;)

Step Six:
The drink needs a little mixing because all the fruit is still on the bottom, like a yogurt. I’ve seen this done a few ways- you can either shake it, roll it (pour into a shaker tin, then back into the glass one or more times) or just agitate (poke with a stir straw). I like to roll it because it cools the drink down a little, gives you a pretty even mix and is easier than putting everything into a shaker. Plus I think rolling it is the most fun. If you shook it, then pour back into your rocks glass. Garnish the drink with a stir straw.

Set Seven:
ENJOY!

My Review:
Delicious! Old Fashioneds are a pain in the ass to make but I actually don’t mind because they're so yummy. The drink is a little sweet, so if you're a bourbon purist, I don't know how you will feel, but just try it- it has been around this long, so there has to be something to it.

David

Want to get all of the things you need to make an Old Fashioned delivered to your door? In an hour? And save $5? Check out Drizly.



No comments:

Post a Comment